Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Test Environment for oracle
Test Environment for oracle [message #270954] Fri, 28 September 2007 10:02 Go to next message
kmoekmio
Hello everybody,

I was asked in my organization to create a test database on the oracle server so that users can work on it and if what they made was correctly designed and tested , they can then transfer these data to the production database(the already existing one now).i thought of creating a new database and use export/import utility to transfer the existing data from the production database to the test database.i thought also of creating other schemas on the same database and these schemas will be for test but the data will be repeated.i would be very thankful if DBA experts can advice me with the best solution from performance point of view.
Note: our oracle server is connected to a SAN

Thanks in advance.
Re: Test Environment for oracle [message #270998 is a reply to message #270954] Fri, 28 September 2007 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
One thing you don't want to do is put test schemas in your production database for testing. Think about all the negatives to that (eg. what if you blow something up, more resources being consumed by testers, schema names will not match production, etc.)
Re: Test Environment for oracle [message #271128 is a reply to message #270954] Sat, 29 September 2007 13:57 Go to previous message
OracleDisected
Knoekmio

Dude, that is a very bad practice!!! ... please CYA and avoid that test-to-production data migration, is direct path to hell if you make a mistake.

If you're talking about application parametrization, what is the issue with typing again in production?

Technicaly is feasible, but you must pinpoint very carefully which information is valuable and what is garbage. Once done that use export with parameter QUERY to select only the information they want, and import as usual.

Important: Make a backup of destination table BEFORE import

Luck!
[Edit MC: url to poster blog removed. We don't care about your blog in this post. If you have an answer on your site, post a link to this answer. If you don't, post your blog url in Marketplace]

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2007 12:42] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: How to calculate db_block_buffer?
Next Topic: ORA-01033 Oracle Initialization or shutdown in progress
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 17:14:47 CDT 2024