Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » What is the fuss about Table partitioning license?
What is the fuss about Table partitioning license? [message #210298] Wed, 20 December 2006 03:50 Go to next message
blazingrock4u

Hi,

With the help of following outputs, can I conclude that my database has got Partition feature enabled and I don't have to purchase any license to implement table/index partitioning.

SQL> select * from v$version;
BANNER
----------------------------------------------------------------
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.6.0 - 64bit Production
PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production
CORE 9.2.0.6.0 Production
TNS for Solaris: Version 9.2.0.6.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.6.0 - Production

SQL> select * from v$option where upper(parameter) like '%PARTITION%';
PARAMETER VALUE
-------------------- --------------------
Partitioning TRUE

SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.6.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
JServer Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production
Re: What is the fuss about Table partitioning license? [message #210309 is a reply to message #210298] Wed, 20 December 2006 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
You installed in with your database, BUT you may not be licensed to actually use it. The functionality is there to use, but without a license, you legally can not use it.
Re: What is the fuss about Table partitioning license? [message #212628 is a reply to message #210309] Sat, 06 January 2007 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dominikz

some of those options are installed by default, as long as you aren't actually using them you are fine.

if you want to use them, then go buy the licenses. nothing technically stops you from using them but if an Oracle rep. finds out expect them to demand your company pay for their use.
Re: What is the fuss about Table partitioning license? [message #216242 is a reply to message #210298] Thu, 25 January 2007 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay Bajracharya
A lot of things get installed with the Enterprise Edition of Oracle.

You NEED to buy license for partitioned tables, if you are using them. Getting it installed and not using is OK.

I got caught by this about 2 years ago. While talking to a rep, I mentioned "partitioned tables" for our Warehouse and he goes "wait ... you don't have license for that" ....

It was like putting a big piece of meat in front of the lion ...

Later on we re-negotiated our license. We were moving to a faster server also.
--
Sanjay
Re: What is the fuss about Table partitioning license? [message #216384 is a reply to message #216242] Fri, 26 January 2007 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nani_ar
Hi,

I too have some fuss about the licensing for table partitioning. Do we really need additional license for using the table partitioning even though we have enterprise edition?

But according to Taj, my friend he says it is not required.

Plz clarify...

nani
Re: What is the fuss about Table partitioning license? [message #216388 is a reply to message #216384] Sat, 27 January 2007 00:08 Go to previous message
ebrian
Check your other post.
Previous Topic: not able to get the X Windows to install oracle
Next Topic: database discovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:42:44 CDT 2024