Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » UNDO vs. Rollback Segments
UNDO vs. Rollback Segments [message #204034] Fri, 17 November 2006 07:21 Go to next message
Frank Naude
How would you respond if an application vendor tells you:

Quote:
Another issue that COPMANYX noticed from their analysis of the information provided, is the use of UNDO tablespaces instead of rollback segments. You indicated that you use UNDO instead of rollback segments as it is easier and more efficient. However, COMPANYX indicated that the product has not been tested this way, and that you should use rollback segments. Can you please indicate if this is acceptable?
Re: UNDO vs. Rollback Segments [message #204039 is a reply to message #204034] Fri, 17 November 2006 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> product has not been tested this way, and that you should use rollback segments
Thats funny.
RBS or UNDO segments are oracle internal mechanisms.
What does the application code has to with it?
If the code is bad, issues like ora-01555 are inevitable and only solution is to increase the RBS or UNDO retention (whatever is been used).
Methinks, this is just another tech support trivia.
It is with the folks who are about to maintain this database.Any version above 8i must use UNDO.
Statistically, i have myself seen a lot of RBS related issues winding down after using an optimal UNDO RETENTION.
Re: UNDO vs. Rollback Segments [message #204318 is a reply to message #204039] Mon, 20 November 2006 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Thanks Mahesh! I will try to convince them of the facts, however, I don't think they'll listen to reason...
Re: UNDO vs. Rollback Segments [message #204640 is a reply to message #204318] Tue, 21 November 2006 08:30 Go to previous message
Frank Naude
You cannot win with these guys:

Quote:
We've logged an enhancement request to support UNDO MANAGEMENT (Feature introduced in Oracle 9i).

They (the user) are right about known issues with rollback segments. But, there are also bugs with REDO MANAGEMENT. We do NOT support it yet...

They will definitely get my vote for worst Oracle implementation of the year! Just a pity I cannot name names.
Previous Topic: cannot activate a standby database
Next Topic: upgrading 32 bit 10g to 64bit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:44:11 CDT 2024