Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » instance number busy
instance number busy [message #199229] Sun, 22 October 2006 02:19 Go to next message
lokeshonline
I was trying to restart an instance XYZ2. While mounting I got the error instance_number is busy. Where as this instance was not running. When I gave the command ps-eaf|grep XYZ it showed me following processes running
ora_lmon_XYZ2
ora_diag_XYZ2
ora_lms1_XYZ2
ora_lms0_XYZ2
ora_pmon_XYZ2
ora_dbw0_XYZ2
ora_lmd0_XYZ2
May be due to this it was showing that instance_number is busy. Is it advisable to kill these processes or there is any other wayaround. I am not in a position to restart the OS. It is Oracle9i on AIX5.
Re: instance number busy [message #199231 is a reply to message #199229] Sun, 22 October 2006 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orausern
These are oracle's background processes and they should not be killed. What you need to do is , I think, log in as sys (as sysdba) and give shutdown immediate command and post its output.

I think that will shut the instance down. also if the instance is recently shutdown, then see the init.ora file of the instance , and the shutdown time will be recorded there..
Re: instance number busy [message #199233 is a reply to message #199229] Sun, 22 October 2006 05:36 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> Is it advisable to kill these processes or there is any other wayaround.I am not in a position to restart the OS
There is no other way.
You need to reboot the server. Seems one of your process went zombie.
Previous Topic: Errors in emConfig.log file due to port problem
Next Topic: Shared library errors when I try to run SQLPLUS HELP!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:47:36 CDT 2024