Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » 2 Databases in 1 Unix box
2 Databases in 1 Unix box [message #197560] Wed, 11 October 2006 15:38 Go to next message
faiz_hyd
Hi,

We have existing machine with good capacity with Oracle version 9i(rel 2) on Solaris 5.9 , this is for Development Purpose,
as requirement's came and there is going to be a new application, so we have to have a new Database, can i have 2 databases in a single Unix box, is there any concern's,
Any thing to be taken care,
and we don't want to disturb our existing Devleopement user's and their data and DB also,

Any link or Doc which shows such example is appreciated.

Thanks

Abdul.

Re: 2 Databases in 1 Unix box [message #197566 is a reply to message #197560] Wed, 11 October 2006 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> can i have 2 databases in a single Unix box, is there any concern's
I see no big drawbacks. As long as you have resources, you can go for that.
And, this just a development database. Right? So why not?
Infact why new application? Unless the application (bussiness and technical needs) really needs it, i would hook it up into the old database itself under a new schema.

Re: 2 Databases in 1 Unix box [message #197756 is a reply to message #197566] Thu, 12 October 2006 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
faiz_hyd
Thanks Mahesh for Response

Business needs are to have a new application with different web settings and services and not to effect 1 Application when other is under maintenance or like that.
Yes it is Development as of know but down the line we will follow the same strategy for Production Box also,

Yes you are right we should have opted for a new schema under the same DB infact this new application i can call it as sister application of the existing one, but i don't know more reason other than this that they want to stop new application when other is down for maintenence or some other reasons.

Thanks For your Support.
Re: 2 Databases in 1 Unix box [message #198330 is a reply to message #197560] Mon, 16 October 2006 11:22 Go to previous message
Uwe
I have worked on Server with 5 to 8 different Instances.
Even if you have enough Disk Space and Memory it work fine as Mahesh suggested.

Previous Topic: unable to extend index
Next Topic: Queries allowed on fixed table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:52:08 CDT 2024