Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Implementing a version control mechanism
icon4.gif  Implementing a version control mechanism [message #196943] Mon, 09 October 2006 05:21
Ach
Hi everybody,

I need to implement a versioning mechanism in my OLTP system to enable holding all history of many types of contents (Docs,Refers,Attachments,...).

I conclude that there are 3 main ways as below(meybe more you can tell me):

1. As our legacy system: Insert a complete copy of modified content in a seperate table together with some timestamp info. This way any simple update in content leads to an additional insert too.

2. Use some diff algorithm to produce undo steps: b/c many of our content are text we could do this easily. This looks like to Oracle's redo logs, IMO.

3.Using DBMS specific logs: (Note: I am not sure this is a feasible solution!) I do not save any history data. I will use something like oracle's log miner or SQL Server's transaction log facilities (maybe there is some native API to deal with too) and will generate required history when necessary.

The most important thing is that our customers need to search and generate report on these content history with a reasonable performance.

What is the best solution in your opinion? Your comments are appreciated, friends.

-Thanks in advance
Previous Topic: mts_servers in 8i
Next Topic: how can i link two databases
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:39:35 CDT 2024