Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Control files
Control files [message #162020] Wed, 08 March 2006 04:29 Go to next message
gajini
In my database there are totally 3 control files named,CONTROL01.CTL,CONTROL02.CTL,CONTROL03.CTL.

Please anyone clear my following doubts,

1) Does all the 3 control files contain the same contents i.e.,will all files get updated simultaneously if any structural change is made to the database?

2) If so,What is the need of having 3 control files,only one control file is enough?

Please anyone answer as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Malru
Re: Control files [message #162032 is a reply to message #162020] Wed, 08 March 2006 05:04 Go to previous message
JSI2001
1) Yes
2) Read the documentation on controlfiles. You can download it from http://tahiti.oracle.com
Quote:

Every Oracle database should have at least two control files, each stored on a different disk. If a control file is damaged due to a disk failure, the associated instance must be shut down. Once the disk drive is repaired, the damaged control file can be restored using the intact copy of the control file from the other disk and the instance can be restarted. In this case, no media recovery is required.

The following describes the behavior of multiplexed control files:

Oracle writes to all filenames listed for the initialization parameter CONTROL_FILES in the database's initialization parameter file.
The first file listed in the CONTROL_FILES parameter is the only file read by the Oracle database server during database operation.
If any of the control files become unavailable during database operation, the instance becomes inoperable and should be aborted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
Oracle strongly recommends that your database has a minimum of two control files and that they are located on separate disks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Topic: Regarding BLOCKS
Next Topic: migration from oracle7.3 to oracle 9I
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:48:17 CDT 2024